CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Tuesday, November 17, 2009

Dekalb Farmer's Market

We discovered a hidden gem in our community, not ten minutes from our house. Friends have mentioned it, we've heard rumors, but we didn't understand the amazing-ness that lay in wait...


We pulled up to its rather unassuming exterior-- and I was a little skeptical because it looks like a warehouse. The parking lot was packed. We managed to dodge little old ladies and a 30-ish woman wearing a Moutain Hardware jacket and Crocs and snag a parking space relatively close to the door. My heart began to beat faster as we walked through the sliding doors and a blast of cold air hit my face. I was expecting vendor stalls, dark corners, and the smell of old fish. Instead, the sight that met my eyes was enough to make even hardass Anthony Bourdain crack a smile. I think Gordon Ramsey might've actually danced a little jig. It was beautiful.
Glistening produce as far as the eye could see. Row upon row of spices. Aisles full of different types of olive oils and chocolate. Even some produce I have never seen before, like this giant okra:

Or this type of melon (I can't remember its name)


I was amazed to see tamarind pods lying benignly behind the strawberries, as if they were as commonplace as bananas.


It reminded me of the few weeks after my senior year in high school that I spent with my mother in the Dominican Republic. She took me to the house of the woman who served as their maid for a decade. It was a small hut, no larger than my living room, immaculately clean with a worn picture of the Virgin Mary tacked to the wall to offer her protection. In lieu of having anything more to serve us on that sweltering day, she fished out a tray of tamarind ice that she sold to the neighborhood kids for 10 cents a piece. I grasped the sticky melting ice cube in between my thumb and forefinger and tentatively touched my lips to it. The tart and tangy juice of the "tamarindo", mixed with sugar, married to the frosty ice cube in a deliciously refreshing homemade popsicle that melted, sticky and sweet, all over my hands. I was in love.









The produce and bread section stretched for what seemed like a hundred yards. Yucca, sweet potatoes, strawberries, avocados, papaya, mango, collard greens: the list was endless. And we hadn't even seen the other side of the store yet.
 

I managed to slip a few bargain delicacies into our basket when Sonny wasn't looking (he has the enjoyable task of trying to keep our food budget within our income limits) If it was up to me, I'd spend all my money on kitchen gadgets and cookware and ingredients.  At one point, Sonny grabbed my arm and told me I was getting a little out of hand "Its not necessary to skip everywhere, honey, just walk calmly".






Wow, and then we got to the seafood....




 
Squid!
 Haha!

 
 Tons of live seafood, including these tilapia

and it just continued!!
We were amazed at the extent of the meat department. They even had a bakery, a full cafe, and an extensive wine collection. I didn't even mind that when we went to check out it was cash or debit card only--who cares about earning SkyMiles when there is so much goodness to be had????
I turned to Sonny and said "Ok, I bet our total will be $5" he shook his head nonchalantly, not drawn into my game. I turned back to the clerk with a smile and began tallying our item in my head. $1.99 for that gigantic beautiful pomegranate, $0.81 for that huge bag of bay leaves.....
Our total?
$6.67
What did we buy? 1 large pomegranate, 1 leafy bunch of kale, 2 Haas avocados, half a pound of ground ginger, sage, and 3 oz bag of bay leaves. Not much, considerably. But of course, I was showing the utmost restraint and control.
However, I make no guarantees for the next time.




0 comments: